An Introduction to IBLCE
The International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners (IBLCE) is a non-profit organisation governed by a Board of Directors. It was established to develop and administer the certification examination for Lactation Consultants. The IBLCE examination is the premier, internationally recognised certification. Founded in 1985, the IBLCE administers annual examinations, in multiple languages and at numerous sites around the world. The IBLCE exam has been fully accredited by the prestigious US National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA), the body which sets stringent standards for certifying organisations.
Candidates who pass the IBLCE examination attain the designation IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). IBCLCs adhere to a Code of Professional Conduct and provide genuine breastfeeding assistance and skilled technical management of breastfeeding problems. The primary purpose of the IBLCE is to benefit the public by setting standards for the Lactation Consultant Profession. The IBLCE is proud of its role as an organisation which:
- sets standards that protect mothers and babies
- independently evaluates professional knowledge
- enables identification of recognised skills
- motivates Health Professionals to broaden their breastfeeding expertise
- recognises that specialist skills in lactation are needed within multiple professions
- raises standards of care in lactation management
- initiated the development of a skilled profession
- protects, promotes and supports breastfeeding worldwide
For more information on the history of IBLCE, you can follow this link to the International website
You can also watch the Insight video clip below
- "I would like to sit the Exam to become an IBCLC"
- "I am an IBCLC looking for information on recertification"
- "I let my certification lapse, and I want to become certified again"
- "I am an education provider and I want to apply for CERPs"
- IBLCE Documents, Forms and Applications
- Monetary Investment for Lactation Consultant Certification (MILCC)
- IBCLC Lactation Care Award